BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Less Mess When Dyeing Easter Eggs


Rub-a-dub-dub... We Dyed Easter Eggs in the Tub So, as a mother, we learn as we grow-right? Well, I learned very quickly that my son is not the, uh.. how shall we say it?... cleanest little guy on the block. He loves to get dirty. Easter egg dyeing is one of his true favorites. For the past 3 years, we have had a blast dyeing those eggs in my kitchen, on my nice - wood- kitchen table. Thank God I have tile floors, as it did collect lots of accidental drips. However, the cleanup has always been a nightmare. The process of even setting up to make cleanup possible is daunting. This year, I came up with a new plan.

This year, I also have a very excitable 2 year old daughter who would be officially dyeing her own Easter eggs this year for the first time. My son is a pro at the dyeing process by now, although he ends up looking like a smurf each time! The thoughts of the mess were enough to nearly kill me. A light bulb went off in my head, and we decided to dye eggs in the tub this year.

It was a great set-up: 4 or 5 colors on each side of the tub. They had to sit back to back to work properly, thus avoiding any fights over colors. They each had a dozen eggs of their own to dye. About half way through, we switched sides so they could each have a shot at all the colors. Man did we get messy. There were splatters of dye all over my tub, all over my children, and even a few on me! The kids really enjoyed the time they had making those beautiful eggs. I was relaxed because I wasn't worried about the mess. I didn't have to constantly tell them to be careful, or watch out! Their hands turned lovely shades of blue and green by the time we were done. But it didn't matter. It was time for the simplest clean-up in the history of the Wilson household. I dumped the colors, put the eggs back in the crates to save for tomorrows "bling" decorating party, and rinsed the tub. Then I filled it back up with soapy bubbles, and off we were to being clean again. What a great time we had doing this.
Sometimes as parents, we all forget to step back and join in on the fun our kids are having. I am just as guilty of doing this, because we want to raise healthy, happy, well-rounded children. What could give them a better example than their parents having fun with them?? So parents, stop and enjoy life once in awhile. Don't always focus on right and wrong. You may be missing out on some unforgettable moments and memories that can last a lifetime with your children.